Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Dreaded Word

Is there no word in the English language that strikes more fear than....Cancer. I remember the first time I heard it mentioned in the same sentence as my own name and I don't remember much about the conversation after hearing the word Cancer.

My family has a strong genetic predisposition for this dreaded disease. My grandmother on my mother's side died with it and two of my mother's brothers died with cancer. It has also struck nieces and nephews.

Two years ago during a routine colonoscopy a growth was removed from my sister and was determined to have cancer cells in it.

When I was much younger the incident above occurred and luckily it was only some pre-cancer cells and was easily taken care of.

Now my mother had a growth removed from her bladder and it too was cancer. The doctor says he got it all but who can say.

My mom has a positive attitude and is a tough ole lady so she will fight it if it returns. I wish that I felt that confident myself.

No comments: